Why is sugar considered addictive?
1. Eating even a small amount creates a desire for more.
2. Suddenly quitting causes withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, mood swings, cravings and fatigue.
Complex carbohydrate that occurs naturally in foods such as grains, beans, vegetables and fruit pack in more nutrients. These sugars contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and proteins. It is digested much differently than processed sugar that's in cakes, cookies, donuts, etc. which are simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are higher in fiber and digest more slowly. This also makes them more filling, which means they're a good option for weight control. They're also ideal for people with type 2 diabetes because they help manage blood sugar spikes. Simple carbs come in the form of simple sugars and refined grains that have been stripped of all bran, fiber, and nutrients, such as white bread, pizza dough, pasta, pastries, white flour, white rice, sweet desserts, and many breakfast cereals.
The 10 Most Addictive Foods
1. Ice Cream 6. Chips
2. Candy 7. Cake
3. French Fries 8. Pasta
4. Chocolate 9. Donuts
5. Cookies 10. Bread
So why do we want dessert after a meal?
Our meal was not balanced!!
Find that Balance Meal
Whole grains: brown rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, oats
Vegetables: squash, carrots, parsnips, onions, broccoli, mushrooms
Dark, leafy greens, beans and legumes
Making Smart Choices
· Protein vs. sugary snack
· Tea vs. soda
· Whole fruit vs. fruit juice
· Complex carbohydrates vs. simple carbohydrates
• Brown rice syrup
• Blackstrap molasses
• Maple syrup
• Raw honey
· Monk fruit
Go-To Solutions for the holiday
• When going to a party with plenty of sweets, eat a small meal at home first.
• Drink a glass of water to help fill your belly before you dive into a dessert.
• Go for the smaller desserts and eat slowly.
• Drink alcohol or eat dessert, not both at the same time. You will double your sugar intake.
• Eating a banana before drinking alcohol can help. They can prevent electrolyte imbalances associated with drinking alcohol and they’re made up of nearly 75% water to help with hydration.
• Eat Sweet food with water, coffee or tea to help cut the sweetness.
What's your sugar craving?